I’ll be the first to admit, that I don’t always know or follow what is cool or popular. Sometimes trends come and go before I even process them and definitely before I invest in any pieces. (I’m looking at you high-waisted shorts, crop tops, and wedges.) But there is one trend that has my heart and makes me feel that I am not so behind the times. And that, my friends, is ATHLEISURE.
You may roll your eyes or ask yourself, “What in the world is athleisure?” Well, Wikipedia (a super awesome and reliable source) defines it as:
“a trend in fashion in which clothing designed for workouts and other athletic activities is worn in other settings, such as during work, casual or social occasions.”
That’s right. It means I can go from work at a barre studio to the grocery store or the park or lunch – with no judgment. I can wear my workout clothes all day long. Heck, sometimes I put them on with no intention of even working out. If I’m being really honest, sometimes I go for a run, shower, do my hair and a little make-up, and put on different athleisure wear. I like looking sporty.
I have some friends, who say “I just can’t,” when it comes to athleisure. I get it. I don’t want to say they’re wrong. Instead, I’ll just give them a shout out and compliment them for always looking so nice and wearing real clothes and shoes – it just seems like a lot of work.
So instead, I embrace this trend and have put together 5 reasons athleisure rocks, with a few places to shop.
- It is comfortable. Seriously comfortable. Like I’m wearing pajamas, but I’m not. Or these leggings are so buttery soft on my legs comfortable. (I’m looking at you other LulaRoe fans!)
- It is flattering. My athleisure wear was the first thing that “fit”me after I had my son. And 14-months later, high-waisted leggings continue to be my best friend. I can’t speak for everyone, but for me the look is so much more flattering than being sucked into any skinny pants.
- Tennis shoes are acceptable. Which is good. Because they are an absolute necessity for me, trying to keep up with my little man.
- Jeans are the worst. Jeans used to be my thing, but since I had my baby, they sometimes are just a little too tight – if you know what I mean.
- Sports Bras > Regular Bras. Let’s be honest, sports bras are comfy. And they often now even have cups and don’t give you the uni-boob look. Win-win.
Every celebrity and their brother is developing their own athleisure line. Seriously – Beyonce, Carrie Underwood, Heidi Klum, Selena Gomez, Jessica Simpson – all have them. Some companies like Athleta and Lululemon even have a “to and from” section. That being said, there are plenty of places to find affordable and stylish athleisure wear! TJ Maxx, Gap Outlet, and Amazon are some of my favorite places for affordable leggings and tanks. Even Sam’s Club has some awesome athleisure wear right now…so walk, don’t run! (In your athleisure of course.)
I’ll just leave you with one final thought as I sit here all comfy and cozy on the couch.